Has the ever increasing costs of shipping export hardwood lumber got you down? Completely fed up with scheduling a shipment around someone that does not work for you? Would you like to save time and money? Then the APHIS-Approved NHLA Certification of Kiln Drying Sawn Hardwood Lumber Program is for you!
The Program which was initiated by APHIS is controlled through a Memorandum of Understanding between the two organizations. The Program achieves the same goals as the APHIS Phytosanitary Certificate but at less cost both to APHIS and the U.S. hardwood industry. The system mirrors the successful fifteen year old softwood certification program previously developed by APHIS for the European Union.
The USDA-APHIS is actively pursuing the acceptance of the program in many countries including China. Below is a current list of countries that are accepting the NHLA Kiln Drying Certificate:
- Australia - Accepts KD Certificate, but with higher temperature requirements 74°C for 18 hours.
- European Union* - Austria, Brazil, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. *Ash is now accepted on the NHLA KD Certificate with a PHYTO with additional steps needed.
KD Certification Program fees are as follows and include audit charges:
NHLA member: $450 per month
Additional costs include:
Non-Member:$500 per month
- Postage for sending Certificates and Id Tags
- Id Tags (Currently at $11.00 per hundred)
- Certificate Paper (Currently at $10.00 per hundred sheets)
The Program involves regular inspections of subscribing hardwood facilities in the U.S. by both independent third party auditors and APHIS inspectors to ensure continuing conformance to the Kiln Drying Sawn Hardwood Standard.
If you would like to learn more about the program or would like to join the program, please contact NHLA Chief Inspector, Dana Spessert at 901-399-7551 or email@example.com.
To view a list of the current KD Certified Companies click here KD Certified Members
To view a list of the current Ash for European Union - KD Certified Companies click here EU Ash - KD Certified Members
To view a presentation from NHLA click here KD Certification