Kiln Drying Certification
The USDA-APHIS is actively pursuing the acceptance of the program in many countries including China, please submit additional countries not on the list that would be beneficial to email@example.com.
Below is a current list of countries that are accepting the NHLA Kiln Drying Certificate:
Australia - Accepts KD Certificate, but with higher temperature requirements 74°C for 18 hours.
European Union* - Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
*Oak species only, bark free.
*Ash with unlimited wane is now accepted on the NHLA KD Certificate with a PHYTO with additional steps needed listed below.
1. Separate Process Manual for this portion of program.
a. Including Aerial photo of drawing of facility
b. Process flow chart of operation
2. Ash bark free with a minimum of 50 sq. cm on any one piece
3. Drying period of 14 days, including air dry time.
4. Wet bulb temperature of 160 F for 20 hours.
5. Each pack must have a KD Clip and the number recorded on the KD Certificate
6. KD Certificate and PHYTO for each shipment
7. Each pack marked with KD - HT
8. Each pack must be 10% MC or Less, tested with moisture meter and recorded for auditor.
9. Currently an APHIS representative will need to inspect shipments prior to obtaining a PHYTO.
KD Certification Program fees are as follows and include audit charges:
NHLA member: $450 per month
Non-Member:$500 per month
Additional costs include:
Postage for sending Certificates and Id Tags
Id Tags (Currently at $11.00 per hundred)
Certificate Paper (Currently at $11.00 per hundred sheets)