The National Hardwood Lumber Association hereby sets forth the basic fair and ethical principles and practices to which member companies of the association will continue to adhere in the conduct of their business.
Code Of Conduct
Deceptive or Unlawful Consumer or Recruiting Practices:
- No member company of the Association shall engage in any deceptive, false, unethical or unlawful business or consumer practice. Member companies shall ensure that no statements, promises or testimonials are made that are likely to mislead customers.
- Member companies shall conduct their activities toward other members in compliance with this Code and all pertinent laws.
- Information provided by member companies to prospective or current customers shall be accurate and complete. Member companies shall not make any factual representation to customers that cannot be verified or make any promises that cannot be fulfilled. Member companies shall not present any selling opportunity in a false, deceptive or misleading manner.
- Member Companies shall respect any lack of business experience of customers. Member Companies shall not abuse the trust of customers, or exploit a customer’s age, illness, handicap, lack of understanding or unfamiliarity with the grading rules.
Products, Services and Promotional Materials
- The offer of products or services for sale by member companies of the Association shall be accurate and truthful as to price, grade, quality, quantity, and availability. A customer’s order for products and services shall be fulfilled in a timely manner.
- Member companies shall not make misleading comparisons of another company’s products or services. Any comparison must be based on facts that can be objectively substantiated. Member companies shall not degrade any other member company, business, product or service in a false or misleading manner and shall not take unfair advantage of the goodwill attached to the trade name and symbol of any company, business, product or service.
- Promotional literature, advertisements and mailings shall not contain product descriptions, claims, photos or illustrations that are false, deceptive or misleading.
- Member Companies shall offer customers accurate information regarding: price, grade, terms of payment, and delivery dates.
Terms of Sale
Member Companies are encouraged to incorporate NHLA sales code in all business transactions. (NHLA sales code can be found in the NHLA Rules Book.)